(WXYZ) - Roasted butternut squash Panzanella
Recipe by: Chef Kendall Mitchell, www.trugourmand.com
This is a great salad that allows for several different ingredients and flavor combinations.
1 ½ lbs Butternut Squash, peeled, cut into 1 in. cube (approx. 3 cups)
2 mdm Granny Smith apples, cut into 1 in. cube
1 tsp dried Thyme
3 Tbsp Olive Oil
9 oz Crusty or Stale Bread, cubed into bite-sized pieces
1 mdm Red Onion, sliced lengthwise
1 Tbsp Sage, rubbed or finely chopped
2 cps Baby Mixed Greens (e.g. Arugula, Mixed Lettuces, Kale, Swiss Chard, etc)
1 tsp Salt, to taste
1 tsp Black Pepper, to taste
1 cp Apple Cider or Apple Juice
2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tsp Stoneground or Dijon Mustard
2 Tbsp Honey (optional)
½ cp Olive Oil
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Arrange rack to middle of the oven. Place a baking sheet in the oven as it heats.
2. In lrg mixing bowl, combine squash, apples and thyme with 2 Tbsp olive oil. Toss well to coat. Remove hot baking sheet from the oven and add squash mixture. Be sure to spread evenly to a single layer. Return pan to oven and roast vegetables for 20 minutes, until golden brown on bottom. Note: Reserve mixing bowl.
3. While squash mixture roasts, make vinaigrette. Combine apple cider and vinegar in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over mdm-high heat and allow cider to reduce to about ½ cup (approx. 10 mins). Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 mins. Whisk in mustard and honey. While vigorously whisking cider mixture, SLOWLY add ½ cup olive oil in a steady stream until all oil has been incorporated. Set vinaigrette aside.
4. In reserved lrg mixing bowl, add bread pieces. Sprinkle with remaining 1 Tbsp of olive oil. Toss to coat. Remove vegetables from the oven and turn over with spatula. Scatter bread pieces and red onion atop the squash mixture. Note: Again, reserve mixing bowl to build salad. Return pan to the oven and roast for 8 minutes more to allow bread to toast.
5. Once cooked, transfer vegetable mixture to reserved lrg mixing bowl. Pour dressing over squash and bread mixture and sprinkle with sage. Toss very well to coat and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
6. Finally, add greens and toss to combine. Taste. Season mix to taste with salt and pepper. Serve salad at room temperature.
Yield: Serves 4-6
Variations: *Make it gluten-free - use your favorite gluten-free bread instead. *Use other herbs - rosemary or parsley. * Try adding spices like Cumin or Coriander for a bit of earthiness. * For sweetness and a bit of crunch – add cranberries and toasted walnuts. Enjoy!