(WXYZ) - It may not be what first comes to mind when you think of Sticky Buns, but Chef Mark Kassa of The Beach Grille in Campus Martius dropped by the 7 Action News studios to share 4 different versions of the dish. It's not the traditional Sticky Bun but one smell of this unique meal and you'll be hooked!
The Sticky Buns, which are a bit like an Asian Taco and not anything like a Cinnamon Roll. A round flat "bun" is topped with meats and veggies, then folded in half for easy handling. The bun is softer and thicker than a tortilla shell would be. They're a popular street food in many Asian cultures, but you'll be hard pressed to find one that compares to the taste of this dish featured at the Beach Bar & Grille.
The "mouth watering" meals aren't the only reason to check out the restaurant, the atmosphere will surely put you in the mood to sit back and enjoy a fruity drink while dressed in beach ware. The Beach Bar & Grille , which is actually a restaurant with several tons of imported sand to give it a real beach feel, is a sure fit for anyone.
This recipe is sure to be a crowd pleaser with family and friends or you can stop by The Beach Bar & Grille and order the hot buns from their menu.
Below are step-by-step instructions on how to make the dish that feels like a meal.
Sticky Bun Recipe
3 Cups 110 degree water
1/2 Cup White Sugar
2 Teaspoons Yeast
1/2 Cup Sesame Oil
1/2 Cup Blended Oil
1 Teaspoon Salt
8 Cups All Purpose Flour
1. Add yeast, sugar and water in an electric mixer bowl and wait five minutes while the yeast blooms.
2. Add half of the flour and mix for a minute.
3. Incorporate oils and salt until thoroughly mixed.
4. Mix in the other half of the flour until it forms.
5. Put dough in a container, top with plastic wrap and allow to proof at room temperature for about 3 hours.
6. Punch down dough and rest in refrigerator for an hour.
7. Cut sticky bun portions off dough, roll out to a circle with a 3 inch radius
8. Add sesame oil down the middle then fold over.
9. Lay sticky buns on a greased sheet pan, cover and refrigerate.
10. When ready to use, allow buns to proof for a half hour.
11. Steam in perforated pan with a lid and water underneath for about seven minutes.
12. Add grilled chicken, BBQ sauce, lettuce, tomato and fritos to the middle like a taco then enjoy.