Warm up with a delicious and hearty chowder recipe
10:14 AM, Jan 19, 2014
6:57 PM, Feb 18, 2014
SOUTHFIELD (WXYZ) - Chef Elwin Greenwald from Elwin & Co. in Berkley stopped by 7 Action News and demonstrated how to make a delicious chowder.
Potato & Corn Chowder
Serves about 10-12
¼ lb butter ¼ c olive oil 1 medium or 3 small onions, diced 3 large carrots, diced 6 ribs of celery, diced ¾ c flour 1 qt half & half 4 qts vegetable or chicken stock ½ tbl chopped parsley ¼ tsp ground bay leaf ¼ tsp sage ¼ tsp nutmeg ¼ tsp thyme Kosher salt & black pepper to taste 4 c diced yellow potatoes (cooked) 4 c corn kernels (fresh or frozen) 2 c diced cooked chicken, shrimp or smoked turkey 2 tbl chopped fresh parsley Juice & zest of one lemon
Heavy-duty soup pot & stockpot Chef or French knife Cutting board Measuring cups & spoons Wire whisk Rubber spatula Wooden spoon Large ladle Decorative serving bowls
1. Heat the butter and olive oil in the heavy soup pot until it bubbles. Add the onions, carrots and celery. Cook over medium heat until onions are translucent.
2. Add the flour. Using the wooden spoon, combine well. Cook over medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in the stockpot, combine the half & half and the stock of your choice (vegetable or chicken) and all the spices and cook over low heat until hot but not boiling. Be careful not to let liquid burn.
4. Carefully ladle about 1/3 of the hot liquid into the flour-vegetable mixture, stirring before adding more. Continue two more times until all the hot liquid is incorporated into the flour-vegetable base and chowder begins to thicken. Blend well until smooth using the wire whisk.
5. Add the potatoes, corn and either the chicken, shrimp or turkey. Reduce heat to low and cook until all ingredients are heated thoroughly. Simmer about 15-20 minutes. Just before serving, blend in the fresh chopped parsley and the lemon juice and zest.