(WXYZ) - Fan Favorite Tailgate Foods!
Most sports fans are equally passionate about their tailgates and their team. What are some of the top foods served up at tailgates? While fan favorites vary, here are some of the most popular foods served up at tailgate celebrations:
· “Stuff on Sticks”
· Pulled Pork
· Nachos / Tacos
· Layered Dips
· Potato Salad / “Hearty” Salads
· Brownies (cut ‘em into fun football shapes!)
Crowd Pleasing Tailgate Recipes
Fiery Adobo Pork Skewers:
A simple and satisfying tailgate snack on a stick!
1/4 cup Chopped (or pureed) chilies in adobo sauce
3 Tbsp. Meijer light brown sugar
3 Tbsp. Fresh lime juice
1 (1 ¼ lb.) pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into 2” cubes
1 ½ Sweet bell pepper (orange, red, or yellow) seeded and cut into 2” pieces
1 Red onion, cut into 2” pieces
1. Combine chilies, brown sugar and lime juice in a large bowl.
2. Season pork cubes with salt and pepper; add to chili mixture and toss to coat. Allow to marinate 3-4 hours.
3. Coat grill rack with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat to medium (350 degrees).
4. On each of 4 skewers, alternately thread bell pepper, onion and pork.
5. Place skewers on grill and grill about 6-8 minutes per side.
6. Remove from grill and let rest 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Information (per serving): Calories 230, Fat 6g, Cholesterol 83mg, Sodium 100mg, Carbohydrate 13g, Fiber 1.5g, Protein 30g.
White Bean Chicken Chili
Makes about 8 cups
2 cups (about 1/2 pound) chicken breast cut in small chunks (Shortcut: Use 2 cups rotisserie chicken breast meat)
1 Tbsp. Meijer olive oil
1 (48 oz.) jar white northern beans, drained
1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 Tbsp. McCormick ground cumin
1 1/2 cups Meijer Salsa (mild, medium or hot depending on your preference)
2 cups 2% milk Meijer shredded Monterey jack, Colby jack or cheddar cheese
1. In a large pot sauté chicken in olive oil until no longer pink. (Shortcut: Use shredded rotisserie chicken).
2. Add beans, cumin, and salsa and heat until bubbly.
3. Reduce heat to low and add cheese, stirring until melted.
Serving Suggestion: Scoop up chili with Meijer tortilla chips and reduced fat Meijer sour cream
Recipe source: Meijer, Easy Meals Healthy Families guidebook, 2013.
Layered Taco Salad with Chicken
Serves 8 to 10
1 bag (10 oz.) Dole® Heart of Romaine Lettuce (about 6 cups Romaine lettuce, chopped)
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
2 cups shredded or diced cooked chicken (Shortcut: Use Meijer rotisserie chicken)
1 15.25 oz. can DelMonte Fiesta corn (with red bell pepper), drained (OR—1 1/2 cups thawed frozen corn mixed with 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper)
2 cups 2% Milk Meijer shredded cheddar or Colby-jack cheese
2 green onions, diced
1 1/2 cups Meijer tortilla strips (or slightly crumbled tortilla chips)
3/4 cup Meijer Salsa
1/2 cup Meijer Light Ranch dressing
1. In a small mixing bowl mix salsa and light ranch dressing until blended. Set aside.
2. In a large glass bowl, layer half of the lettuce. Top with tomatoes. Drizzle with 1/3 dressing.
3. Add in layers the shredded chicken, Fiesta corn, and 1/2 of the cheese. Top with remaining lettuce.
4. Top with remaining cheese and dressing. Garnish with green onion and tortilla strips.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.