(WXYZ) - Summertime is a great time to learn how to prepare healthy dishes for the family. Enjoy these simple and quick recipes.
Recipe: Sweet Corn Succotash
Summary: Summer Succotash (Sweet Corn, Edamame and Tomato)
Recipe by Chef Kendall Mitchell
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Butter
1 sm Onion, chopped (approx ½ cp)
1 lrg clove Garlic, minced
2 cp Sweet Corn (cut from 4 ears of corn)
1 cp Edamame, thawed (5-7 oz frozen)
1 cp Tomatoes, chopped (approx ½ lb)
1 tsp Salt, to taste
1 tsp Pepper, to taste
2 Tbsp Cilantro, finely chopped (optional)
1. Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat.
2. Add butter and onion to pan. Sauté until soft and translucent (approx 3 mins).
3. Add garlic, stirring until garlic becomes fragrant (approx 1min).
4. Add corn and edamame to the mix. Lower heat to medium and cook for 4-5 mins.
5. Add tomatoes and continue to cook just until tomatoes are warmed through (approx 20-30 seconds). Season mix to taste with salt, pepper and herbs.
6. Remove from heat and serve hot or room temperature for delicious side dish.
Yield: Serves 4-6
Variations: *Use any herb you like for this dish. * Try adding spices like Cumin or Coriander for a bit of earthiness. * Add the traditional lima bean or any green veg, like zucchini for the edamame. Enjoy!
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.