(WXYZ) - Healthier Side Dish Recipes:
Looking for some new summer side dishes that deliver on both taste and nutrition? Try these delicious recipes that have a whole grain base and colorful, nutrient-rich fresh ingredients.
Vegetable Quinoa Pilaf
Makes 6 servings
1 cup quinoa (NuVal® score: 91)
2 cups Meijer low sodium chicken broth
¼ tsp. salt
2 tsp. Meijer olive oil
1 cup red onion, finely chopped (NuVal® score: 93)
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ cup yellow bell pepper, finely chopped (NuVal® score: 96)
½ cup Meijer frozen green peas (NuVal® score: 96)
½ cup zucchini, chopped (NuVal® score: 99)
1-2 Tbsps. fresh lemon juice
¼ cup fresh basil, thinly sliced (NuVal® score: 100)
1. In a medium saucepan toast quinoa, stirring constantly, until it begins to brown. Bring broth to boiling; pour broth into quinoa. Add salt; cover, reduce heat to low and cook 15 minutes.
2. In a medium sauté pan heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions; cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, bell pepper, peas and zucchini; cover and cook until vegetables are tender.
3. Season quinoa with salt and pepper to taste. Stir vegetable mixture into quinoa. Add lemon juice and stir. Sprinkle with fresh basil.
Nutrition information per serving: 128 calories; 3g fat; 8mg cholesterol; 162mg sodium; 21g carbohydrate; 83g fiber; 5g protein
Pearl Barley salad with Apricot, Walnuts and Summer Lemon Vinaigrette
Makes 8 servings
8 oz. pearl barley (NuVal® score: 91)
1 cup frozen edamame (NuVal® score: 91)
½ Vidalia® onion, minced (NuVal® score: 93)
2 celery stalks, sliced ¼-inch thick (NuVal® score: 96)
½ cup sliced dried apricots (NuVal® score: 91)
¾ cup chopped walnuts (NuVal® score: 82)
¼ cup Meijer olive oil
¼ cup rice or sherry vinegar
1 lemon, zested and juiced
2 Tbsps. Agave nectar
1. Cook barley until tender according to package directions. Transfer barley to a large bowl; set aside to cool.
2. Bring a small saucepan of water to boiling. Add edamame; cook 1 minute to barely soften. Drain. Rinse in cold water, drain, and set aside.
3. To the large bowl add onion, celery, edamame, apricots, walnuts, oil, vinegar, lemon zest, lemon juice, agave, and salt and pepper to taste; combine well. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes before serving. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Nutrition information per serving: 300 calories; 16g fat; 0mg cholesterol; 10mg sodium; 36g carbohydrate; 8g fiber; 7g protein
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.