Carrots, cut into julienne, blanched and cooled in an ice water bath - Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K
Asparagus spears, blanched and cooled in an ice water bath - Vitamin K, Folate, Vitamin C and A
Avocado, peeled and sliced thin - Vitamin K, B-6, C, Fiber, Potassium,Folate
Cucumber, peeled and sliced thin - Vitamin C
Basic Sushi Rice (shari)
Dried seaweed sheets (nori), cut in half crosswise for skinny rolls
Hand vinegar (tezu): 1 teaspoon rice vinegar mixed with 3 Tablespoons water in a small bowl.
1. Place a sheet of nori shiny side down on a bamboo rolling mat (maki-su). If using a half-size maki-su, cut the nori in half lengthwise to fit the mat.
2. Moisten hands with “hand vinegar”(tezu), and spread about one cup of rice on the nori, leaving about ¼ of the nori sheet exposed on the edge farthest from you.
3. Lay the core ingredients across the middle of the rice.
4. To roll, hold the core ingredients in place with your fingers and push up from under the mat with your thumbs to wrap the roll over on itself.
5. Tighten the roll by firmly pressing the mat around the roll.
6. Place the roll on a cutting board.
7. Keep covered with a clean, damp towel while you prepare more rolls.
8 To cut, use a damp knife to cut the roll crosswise into slices.
9. Arrange on a platter and cover with a clean, damp towel until just ready to serve.
Avocados contain oleic acid, a monounsaturated fat that may help to lower cholesterol and are a good source of potassium, a mineral that helps regulate blood pressure. One cup of avocado has 23% of the Daily Value for folate, a nutrient important for heart health.
More Healthy Living
Many vegetarians do not incorporate enough protein and fiber in their diets and finding simple meal options for vegetarians can often be difficult. This week we have a delicious and easy lentil soup recipe.
Henry Ford West Bloomfield Hospital shows you how their greenhouse promotes community wellness!
Henry Ford Health system is launching the new Let's Get healthy program, designed to combat childhood obesity through diet and exercise.