LIVONIA, Mich. (WXYZ) - Blind Xpress in Livonia is recalling about 139,000 custom-made vertical blinds and 315,000 horizontal blinds after a 2-year-old was strangled by a blind cord.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission says the 2-year-old girl from Commerce Township got caught in the loop of a blind cord that wasn’t attached to the wall or floor.
"The loss of Isabela, my beautiful 2 year old daughter, remains devastating. The feelings of knowing we will never see her grow up, haunts my family every day," said father of Isabela , Wes Nagara, in a statement. "What’s even more unbelievable is finding out that we are not alone in this tragedy. Window blind strangulation is all too common. "
The blinds were sold in Michigan, Ohio and Indiana from 1995 through 2011. The recall pertains to all Blind Xpress custom-made blinds that do not have a cord-tensioning device or inner cord stop device.
The CPSC recommends consumers stop using the blinds and contact the Window Covering Safety Council to receive a free repair kit. To reach WCSC, call 1-800-506-4636.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is recalling Crown Boiler Home Heating Boilers due to a carbon monoxide hazard.