HOLLAND TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) - Damage from a southwest Michigan apartment complex fire believed to have been sparked by a resident trying to cook a squirrel with a propane torch is estimated at $1.4 million.
Debra Spohn, senior vice president of the apartment complex's parent company, tells The Holland Sentinel that the company plans to hold the former resident involved responsible for the building's $10,000 insurance deductible. She says cooking isn't allowed on outside patios.
Officials have said the resident apparently planned to eat the animal and was burning off its fur on a third-floor deck at the building in Ottawa County's Holland Township when the fire broke out Oct. 10. Investigators said the blaze was ruled accidental.
A responding firefighter broke a toe. No residents were injured. The fire displaced 29 families.
Information from: The Holland Sentinel
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
More Around TownHeadlines
You’ve waited all year for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series to return to Michigan International Speedway, NASCAR’s fastest racetrack. The wait is over! This Father’s Day, watch your favorite NASCAR drivers battle it out for a trip to victory lane. Forty-three drivers, 200 laps. It’s SUMMERFAST! A festival of NASCAR thrills at MIS.