(WXYZ) - Have you checked your carbon monoxide detector recently?
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention , more than 400 people accidentally die from carbon monoxide poisoning every year in the United States.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that is produced when fossil fuel burns with insufficient oxygen. CO is found in combustion fumes, which is produced by cars and trucks, gas ranges and heating systems, among other sources.
Consumers Energy says you could be experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning if you or your family are experiencing severe headaches, dizziness, confusion, or nausea. The symptoms experienced are similar to those of the flu.
Both Consumers Energy and the CDC recommend having your appliances checked regularly by a professional, and making sure your detector is functioning properly.
For more information on carbon monoxide detection, visit http://www.consumersenergy.com/content.aspx?ID=1194
©2007 The E.W. Scripps Co. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Memorial Day is a national holiday, but there are different ways to keep it.
The Phoenix jury deciding whether Jodi Arias should be sentenced to life in prison or death resumes deliberations a day after reaching an impasse and being told to keep trying.
A procession of volunteers filed down a street toward the Moore Cemetery, a 20-acre resting ground that accommodates the city’s earliest leaders and soon will receive some of its recent storm victims.