A man in the Florida Panhandle community of Niceville lost all of his teeth, part of his tongue and suffered facial cuts when the electronic cigarette he was smoking exploded, WEAR-Ch. 3 television reported.
Photographer, Vietnam veteran and father of three Tom Holloway was being treated at a burn center, the station reported.
A neighbor told WEAR that Holloway had quit smoking traditional cigarettes because of his health and had taken up so-called electronic cigarettes about two years ago.
Fire officials theorize that the cigarette's battery somehow ignited and it was essentially as if Holloway was "holding a bottle rocket in his mouth," the station reported.
The Associated Press contributed to this report
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy has charged a Detroit man in connection with the deaths of his two sons who died in a house fire on December 6.
Keep your pets safe during freezing temperatures with these tips.
A pretrial hearing is set for Grosse Pointe man Bob Bashara, accused of murdering his 56-year-old wife Jane.