EAST LANSING, Mich. (WXYZ) - Michigan State University says a 19-year-old residence hall student has died of what is thought to be a bacterial infection.
The student was taken to Sparrow Hospital in Lansing Thursday evening and died a few hours later.
MSU has not identified the student, beyond saying that they lived in Snyder-Phillips residence hall.
Health officials are working to determine the exact cause of death. At this point it is suspected to be a case of meningococcal disease.
People who have been identified as being in close contact with the student and may be at risk of infection are being given antibiotics as a precaution.
Meningococcal disease is a flu-like illness that causes an inflammation of the membranes that cover the brain and spinal cord. Common symptoms include flu-like symptoms, sore throat and a fever that rapidly becomes more severe, unlike most respiratory illnesses.
MSU says any students experiencing symptoms should contact either the student health center or their health care provider.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
The nation's record-low teen birth rate stems from robust declines in nearly every state, but most dramatically in several Mountain States and among Hispanics, according to a new government report.
A look at the key known facts about the Wednesday attack in south London, when two men hacked another to death near military barracks.
Ford says it is closing its two Australian auto plants and ending production in the country in 2016 amid soaring manufacturing costs and plummeting sales.