(WXYZ) - It became legal to sell bigger fireworks in Michigan just last year.
Since then, business has been booming for places like Motor City Fireworks in Mt. Clemens.
“The new law has helped us. We’ve been able to grow,” said Michael Barta, owner of Motor City Fireworks. “We are a family owned company.”
Once the law went into effect, people were allowed to light up fireworks at any time and it caused some problems.
“When the law was first put in, it was state law and it couldn’t be trumped by any local ordinances,” said Michigan State Police Lt. Michael Shaw. “One of the things they found is that a lot of the fireworks were being done at three, four in the morning and a lot of residents complained about that.”
Now, the law has changed a little.
It allows municipalities to decide what hours you can light off fireworks, with the exception of holidays.
“In fact, a lot of the local municipalities are changing their fireworks ordinances,” said Lt. Michael Shaw. “So it’s best to see when you can use fireworks in your community [by] contact[ing] your local city hall.”
Before you decide to light up the sky this Fourth of July, there are some things you need to know:
Consumer-grade fireworks must be ignited from your personal property on not public property such as streets and sidewalks or church and school property, according to state law.
It is illegal to light fireworks while you are drunk or on drugs.
Make sure you buy fireworks them from licensed stores. A store will have the license displayed inside.
If your fireworks cause a fire that destroys property or causes injuries or death you could face misdemeanor or felony charges which is punishable up to 5 years in prison and $10,000 fine.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
An Arizona man says he has found out the hard way just how to get banned from Walmart for life.
Former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick is relying on others to tell him how much he owes the city.
The Animal Care Network issues a warning for all pet owners as temperatures dip into into the single digits!