DETROIT (WXYZ) - Detroit's bitterly cold weather has now turned deadly.
Police responded to a home on Rutland on the city's west side where a man and his dog were found dead. The man was found by his family.
Police believe they were killed by carbon monoxide from a faulty furnace. Police and MichCon officials worked to vent the home.
While the man's home was heated by fuel oil, they are also checking to make sure there are no natural gas leaks affecting nearby houses.
The 54-year-old man's name has not yet been released.
Police say he lived in the home with his mother. However, she was not home at the time of the incident.
Firefighters are urging people to install carbon monoxide detectors in their home to prevent this type of tragedy.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
More Detroit Headlines
Detroit's Emergency Manager Kevyn Orr is set to ask retirees and union employees to accept cuts Thursday in an effort to avoid bankruptcy for the city of Detroit.
Who would stay and who would go if the proposed sports and entertainment district gets the final green light?
Within a few years, you could be watching hockey games at a new arena located north of I-75 and south of Temple, between Woodward on the east and Cass on the west.