(WXYZ) - As of noon. Monday approximately 5,000 customers are out of service due to the storms that blew across southeastern Michigan last week.
DTE says the company brought in 100 additional linemen from neighboring utilities in Indiana, Pennsylvania and New York to help restore power to the hundreds of thousands that lost it.
340,000 DTE customers lost power from storms over the past week. The company says it has restored electricity to 98% of them. The rest are expected to have their power back tonight.
Several of the crews are working in the Oak Park area, where there are pockets of homes without power.
Valerie Scott has been without power since Saturday. She is staying home from work today and tells Action News "It is frustrating. All my food is gone. I've had to buy water."
Joe Drew is a lineman for DTE. They have been working 16 hours shifts since the storms blew through on July 3rd. His crews have worked 80 hours since July 4th. He says the heat makes the work that much harder. "We'll keep going" Joe says, "Until everyone is back on line."
They hope to have all power restored by tonight..
Customers are asked to call 1-800-477-4747 to report outages or downed lines. To check outages in your area check out DTE's Interactive Map.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
More Detroit Headlines
A sixteen-year-old boy is dead after a shooting in southwest Detroit.
Former Detroit mayor Kwame Kilpatrick returns to federal court today.
Police are investigating after a carjacking and police chase ended with deadly crash early Thursday morning.