DETROIT (WXYZ) - The man who is suspected in the rapes of several women in northeast Detroit has been arraigned on multiple charges.
Raynard Coleman, age 31, is charged with multiple counts ranging from Criminal Sexual Conduct to Aggravated Assault and Kidnapping. He is being held in the Wayne County jail without bond.
During a news conference Monday morning, Detroit Police Chief Ralph Godbee announced that Coleman would be arraigned and that six warrants had been approved by the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office.
Representatives from the Wayne County Prosecutors Office, Michigan State Police, Crime Stoppers and the community group Detroit 300 were present at the news conference.
During Monday mornings briefing, Chief Godbee credited several agencies for their work in helping to apprehend a suspect.
Scientific evidence from the Michigan State Crime Lab, along with the efforts of Detroit Police and the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office Sexual Assault Team, helped police link the suspect to six of the victims.
The Chief also took a moment to thank the community and several organizations, including the community group Detroit 300, for their involvement in trying to get a suspect behind bars. He said numerous tips came in from the community and tips poured in from Facebook as well.
"This is one of those moments in Detroit’s community where people say enough is enough," Godbee said. He also thanked the victims for having the courage to come forward.
Eight women have been attacked on the city's east side since January 1. One of them was able to get away before she was assaulted. All of the women were either waiting for or walking to or from a bus. One of the victim's vehicle was bumped by the suspect's vehicle before she was attacked.
Of the eight victims, all were from Detroit except for one woman who was from Clinton Township.
Stay with Action News and WXYZ.com for the latest on this developing story.
Copyright 2011 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
More Detroit Headlines
Detroit police are investigating a shooting involving a homeless man.
7 Action News is proud to be a Media Partner and a participant in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. INSIDE: See our pictures and submit your own
The 22nd Annual Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure is finishing up in downtown Detroit.