DETROIT (WXYZ) - Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy has charged a 24-year-old Detroit man in connection with the accidental shooting of a three-year-old boy.
Marcus Jareno Allen has been charged with Second Degree Child Abuse, Felon in Possession of a Firearm and Felony Firearm charges. He was arraigned on the charges at noon Saturday.
The prosecutor's office says Allen was carrying a.45-caliber handgun when he went to visit his girlfriend, who is the mother of three-year-old Marcell Dukes.
Police say Dukes found the gun and shot himself in the foot with a .45-caliber handgun while playing with the weapon.
The incident happened on the 20000 block of Forrer, on the city's west side, around 11:30 a.m. Thursday.
Family members and Detroit Police say Dukes is expected to be all right. There had been concerns about the amount of blood he lost.
Dukes is still in Children's Hospital, listed in good condition.
His uncle told 7 Action News that Dukes' father had just dropped Marcell at his mother's home and that both parents were at the house at the time of the shooting.
The boy's uncle says he was in the shower when he heard the gun go off.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
More Detroit Headlines
Former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick is relying on others to tell him how much he owes the city.
The Animal Care Network issues a warning for all pet owners as temperatures dip into into the single digits!
Detroit Bankruptcy Judge Steven Rhodes has set an important hearing for next Monday morning that will determine whether creditors can take their case directly to the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals in Cincinnati.