DETROIT (WXYZ) - Think pink. It's time for the annual "Race For The Cure" to fight breast Cancer. The event will take place Saturday May 18 From Comerica Park to Midtown Detroit.
Click the link to register for "The Race For The Cure."
The Susan G. Komen Detroit Race for the cure is now in it's 22nd season. IT's a 5K Run/Walk and a 1 mile walk from Comerica Park to Midtown Detroit. It's presented by the Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute, and WXYZ is proud to be a media partner.
WHEN: Saturday, May 18, 7:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
7am: Street closures begin; on-site registration starts; all booths open
8am: Opening Ceremony honoring survivors and the memory of lost loved ones
9am: 5K Run, followed by 5K Walk and 1-Mile Walk
10:30 - 11:30 am. Closing Ceremony with runner and team awards
WHERE: Comerica Park - Midtown Detroit
WHY: To help save lives and end breast cancer forever.
"For more than three decades, Susan G. Komen has been seeking cures and helping low-income, uninsured and under-served women have access to life-saving breast cancer screenings and treatment services. That mission has never changed," said Maureen Keenan Meldrum, chair, Susan G. Komen Detroit Race for the Cure®. "Here in metro Detroit, since 1992, the Komen Detroit Race has raised and invested over $23 million to help end breast cancer. We're grateful for the continued support of metro Detroiters and look forward to seeing everyone on May 18 as we unite as a community to help save lives and end breast cancer."
Organizers tell wxyz.com that each year the Race awards 75 percent of the net proceeds to breast cancer screening, treatment support and education programs for medically underserved people in Wayne, Oakland and Macomb counties. The remaining 25 percent funds breast cancer research grants awarded through Susan G. Komen.
More Detroit Headlines
A team of students at the University of Michigan created an ad for Detroit that is pretty impressive.
The state's takeover of Belle Isle was a controversial move, b ut on Tuesday, more than 40 agencies promised to make it a success.
Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy has charged a Detroit man in connection with the deaths of his two sons who died in a house fire on December 6.