DETROIT (WXYZ) - The woman accused of shooting six people after a Detroit Princess cruise last week has been released from police custody.
However, officials say the prosecutors office is still looking at the evidence to decide if charges will be filed against Latoiya Mitchell or anyone else in connection with the case.
The shooting outside of the Detroit Princess boat stemmed from an altercation that happened on board and an on-going dispute between families and extended relatives. Officers say after the boat docked, the shooting suspect went back to her car, got a gun and opened fire on the crowd.
A family member of one of the victims said Mitchell was trying to protect her new husband, Michael Thomas. The two recently married and were celebrating with family on the boat.
The family member says Mitchell's husband was involved in an argument on the cruise and when he got off the boat, he was attacked by people with golf clubs. We're told Mitchell fired shots in a panic because she was afraid her husband would be beaten to death.
The family member went on to say that Mitchell was able to get her husband back in the car, but as they drove away, a second shooter opened fire. Mitchell's husband was shot several times and was in critical condition Friday morning. The other shooting victims suffered non-life threatening injuries.
Police will not comment on the possibility of a second shooter.
Police believe surveillance video should provide some answers about what happened because at least three cameras recorded the entire incident.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
More Detroit Headlines
In the wind and rain, parents and students marched outside of the Fisher Building where the office of the Detroit Public Schools Emergency Manager is based.
One mystery that popped up during Kilpatrick's criminal trial has now been solved.
Controversy over whether Mike Duggan should be able to run for mayor of Detroit.