DETROIT Mich. (WXYZ) - Police have scheduled a news conference to talk about the serial rape case on Monday, January 24th at 9:00 am to update the case.
Deputy Mayor Saul Green, Detroit Police Chief Ralph Godbee and Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy are all expected to be in attendance. Action News crews will be there.
Detroit Police Chief Ralph Godbee said Thursday a man taken into custody on Wednesday is a person of interest in the high-profile serial rapist case.
He was not officially charged Thursday. No arraignment was expected until Friday if the man is charged.
Action News is withholding the man's name and picture unless he is charged in the case.
The man has 48 hours to be charged. He was taken into custody in connection with the serial rapes that have been happening on Detroit's East Side since the first of the year.
Action News sources say some of the victims identified him in a police line-up after he was taken into custody.
Squad cars and undercover vehicles converged on a home on the 11600 block of Lansdowne near Grayton on Detroit's East Side Wednesday afternoon. Neighbors say they saw a man taken out of the home in handcuffs.
Police executed a search warrant at the home and police evidence technicians were seen removing several bags of physical evidence. A police source tells Action News that DNA evidence led them to the suspect.
Montia Tyus came to the home with police late Wednesday afternoon. She told Action News she lives at the address with her children. She did not identify the man taken from the home, but admitted that he had stayed there. She described him as a "friend," but when pressed, she admitted she had previously dated the man.
Detroit 300 co-founder Malik Shabazz said Wednesday afternoon that his group was pleased to hear that a suspect was in custody. He said a high ranking Detroit Police Department source told him, "We think we've got our guy."
In all, eight women have been attacked on the city's east side. One of them was able to get away before she was assaulted. All of the women were either waiting for or walking to or from a bus. One of the victim's vehicle was bumped by the suspect's vehicle before she was attacked.
Of the eight victims, all were from Detroit except for one woman who was from Clinton Township.
Police have scheduled a news conference to talk about the serial rape case on Monday, January 24th at 9am to update the case. Deputy Mayor Saul Green, Detroit Police Chief Ralph Godbee and Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy are all expected to be in attendance. You can bet Action News crews will be there too.
Copyright 2011 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
More Detroit Headlines
Two kids have been pulled from a burning house on Detroit's west side.
Federal officials plan to provide $41.6 million to the Detroit Department of Transportation that will be boosted by about $10 million in local and state funds.