ST. CLAIR TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WXYZ) - Investigators in St. Clair County say the case is closed in the tragic bonfire accident that happened Saturday night.
The Sheriff's Department says too much gasoline was used in a bonfire causing an explosion.
Twenty-seven-year-old Chris Blewett apparently doused a large pile of wood, before his eighteen-year-old sister Savannah lit the gas.
It happened late Saturday night in the 6500 block of Gratiot Road. Witnesses say wood flew up to 100 feet away, hitting several people. The blast also blew out windows.
"This is an accident," said their uncle Tom Blewett. "Use rolled-up newspapers but don't use no accelerant because you know it's like dynamite."
Family and friends had been celebrating Savannah's graduation from St. Clair High School. She was set to enter Baker College later this year to become a dental hygienist.
"Very excited when kids make those types of decisions," said Principal Ronald Miller. "That's a good first step onto an adult life."
Chris was a roofer who had just earned his journeyman's card.
The two lived with their parents. The accident happened in the family's backyard.
The family has established a fund to help pay the costs of the funerals.
People can make donations to the Blewett Memory Trust Fund at any Chase Bank branch.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
More St. Clair County News
A police standoff involving a woman in the parking lot of the Lexington Police Department comes to an end.
Port Huron police are reminding residents not to handle potentially explosive devices after a resident brought a bomb to the police station today. The World War I device turned out to be what police described as, "military practice ordinance."
Police in Port Huron are investigating a double murder at an apartment complex.