DETROIT (WXYZ) - Thousands of people poured into the streets of Detroit today with the goal of ending breast cancer.
The 20th Annual Susan G. Komen Detroit Race for the Cure drew 40,000 people. That's about 5,000 more than last year.
"This could be our biggest race ever," said race chair Maureen Keenan Meldrum.
Meldrum has been a part of the race every year since it started 20 years ago.
"My first race in 1992 -- our first Komen Detroit Race [for the Cure] was my first connection to breast cancer. I was bald and scared and in the middle of treatment," said Meldrum.
The race inspired her to come back every year. Now she works with other long-time race organizers like Race Director Ed Kozloff.
The running enthusiast has been the organizer of the running part of the race for 20 years.
The cause is also close to his heart.
"My mother died of breast cancer. And we were always interested in doing charitable events, and this is one that we felt would certainly be a beneficial one," said Kozloff.
It has certainly been beneficial. In the last 20 years, the Detroit Race for the Cure has raised about $20-Million to help fight breast cancer.
Organizers say 75% of the net proceeds fund breast cancer screening, treatment and education programs for medically underserved people in Wayne, Oakland, and Macomb counties. The other 25% supports breast cancer research worldwide.
You can still make a donation, just visit www.karmanos.org/detroitraceforthecure/friendsfor.asp
For more information, go to www.karmanos.org.
You may also call 1-800-KARMANOS (1-800-527-6266) or you may call the Komen Detroit office at (248) 304-2080.
WXYZ Channel 7 is a proud Media Sponsor for this event. Our "7 On Your Stride" team participated in the event.
Copyright 2011 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
MILEY CYRUS and PARIS HILTON have fallen victim to pranksters once again after police were called to their Hollywood homes following false reports of gun crimes.
R&B star MIGUEL shocked the audience at the 2013 Billboard Music Awards on Sunday (19May13) when he kicked two female revellers in the head as he performed a leap across the stage.