PLYMOUTH, Mich. (WXYZ) - Thirty-fifth District Court in Plymouth was closed Thursday due to a gas leak.
“My security staff came in this morning and they smelled gas all the way on the 3 rd floor,” explained Chief Judge Ronald Lowe. “It was even a strong smell on the 3 rd floor. Since gas sinks we figured that was a problem.”
Chief Judge Ronald Lowe says his court officers called 911 and evacuated the building.
It’s a good thing they did.
When firefighters responded they found the gas levels at about 40% saturation, meaning one wrong move could have caused an explosion.
They believe a boiler is the source of the leak. That is being fixed and the building is being aired out.
If all goes as planned court will be back open Friday. If you were scheduled to appear in court on Thursday you are asked to call the court on Friday to find out when your case is being rescheduled. The number is (734) 459-4740.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.