The Livonia Fire Department tells 7 Action News that a 73-year-old grandmother died while saving her grandchildren from a house fire.
The firefighters were called to the scene at Curtis near Wayne in Livonia around 1:00 a.m.
According to investigators the grandmother, who they are not naming, woke up her two grandsons sleeping in separate bedrooms around 12:30 a.m. notifying them of the blaze.
One of the teens went to the first floor, where it is believed the fire broke out, and tried to extinguish the flames and smoke.
The other teen and his grandma stayed on the second floor and opened a window in one of the bedrooms. He climbed out and got onto the roof of the garage but the grandmother never made it.
Once the first fire truck arrived, the grandson was able to climb down to safety. Both teens were unharmed.
Investigators do not think the blaze started in the kitchen but possibly ignited in the den area. It’s not believed to have to have originated by a fireplace or have spun from an electrical problem.
The home is almost a total loss, 73 percent of the house is damaged. Crews remained out at the home most of the day securing it with boards.
Investigators say the fire appears accidental. An investigation is under way.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
ADAM SANDLER was recently horrified to discover his maid had been rubbing poison ivy all over his body as he slept as payback for having to handle the actor's dirty underwear.
Actress ROONEY MARA has been named the new face of Calvin Klein.