(WXYZ) - Congressman Anthony Weiner formally announced his resignation during a news conference held Thursday in Brooklyn, New York.
He publicly apologized once again for his behavior in the sexting scandal and said that he was resigning so that his constituents could move forward.
“I had hoped to be able to continue the work that the citizens of my district elected me to do – to fight for the middle class and those struggling to make it. Unfortunately, the distraction that I have created has made that impossible, Weiner said. "So, today I am announcing my resignation from Congress... so my colleagues can get back to work, my neighbors can choose a new representative and most importantly that my wife and I can continue to heal from the damage that I have caused."
After he made the announcement, you can hear some people in the crowd jeer at Weiner.
Earlier Thursday, reports began to circulate that Weiner would resign. Sources told news outlets ttold friends he would resign after mounting pressure from his constituents and the public.
The New York Representative admitted to sending lewd photographs and having several inappropriate cyber exchanges with six women via social networking sites Twitter and Facebook.
The married congressman publicly apologized for the scandal, but previously said he would not resign his position.
Weiner previously lied about an explicit underwear photo that he reportedly sent out on Twitter. He said his account had been hacked and that a security firm would investigate.
Last July, the 46-year-old congressman married Huma Abedin, an aide to Hillary Rodham Clinton. They were married by former President Bill Clinton. His wife is pregnant with their first child.
Weiner reportedly entered a treatment facility at an undisclosed location.
Stay with WXYZ.com for updates.
Copyright 2011 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Want to score free entry to the hottest places, events and entertainment in town? Channel 7 has just the ticket!
The FBI is continuing to dig up an area on Detroit's east side looking for bone fragments and other human remains.
The producers of a documentary about Detroit firefighters are giving $115,000 to the department.