ADRIAN, Mich. (AP) - Police in southern Michigan crews responded to a chemical release and people nearby were asked to stay in their homes.
No injuries were reported Friday morning in Adrian, about 60 miles southwest of Detroit. Police say there was no immediate threat to the public.
Police say in a statement that a barrel containing 30 to 35 gallons of nitric acid was letting off gas after reacting with a small amount of sodium hydroxide.
Roads nearby were closed and the fire department advised residents and others within one-tenth of a mile of the area to stay in their homes.
The Lenawee County hazardous materials team was called out to the scene along with the county's emergency management office.
Copyright AP Modified, Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
More Around TownHeadlines
The winter can be very dangerous for dogs left outside in the bitter cold weather. Some families struggling to pay heat bills are not able to buy food for their pets. 7 Action News found out two ways you can get free dog food.