1. I think Suh will come back with a renewed sense of purpose---and be the beast he was last season---his ego took quite a hit.
2. Some Lions players told me off camera they think they’ll win the next 2 games and have a wild card spot clinched before playing the Packers on New Year’s day.
3. I feel sorry for Sydney Crosby of the Penguins---concussion like symptoms over the last year may ruin or end his career. What a shame that would be.
4. To be relevant again---the Pistons need to win, their young players have to contribute immediately, and be an entertaining product---that’s all.
5. Tiger Woods finally wins again and in dramatic style-but I’m not saying he’s back until he wins a sanctioned, full field tour event---or a major---obviously—he closer to doing that but will never be what he once was.
6. Rip Hamilton wasn’t flashy, just effective. And maybe one of the most under-appreciated pro players in our city. They might not have won the NBA title in 2004 without him. I wish him well on his next stop—most likely an NBA title contender.
7. It’s close enough to the end of the year to give out my Detroit athlete of the year—hands down—it’s Justin Verlander. He’s the best pitcher in baseball right now—incredibly competitive and so polite and approachable. Congrats to Justin—he deserves all the accolades.
Copyright 2011 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.