DETROIT (WXYZ) - 7 thoughts while sitting at my desk:
1. I think the Lions have had a terrific free agent signing period. Not the huge names fans would recognize but players who are upgrades from what they had—especially Steven Tulloch at linebacker. And they say they are not done yet. Maybe their record WILL match their hype.
2. What a wacky, weird and controversial Tigers –Angels game on Sunday—Justin Verlander close to another no-no. Jared Weaver loses it—you can’t throw at a guy’s head. Then he hides behind his teammates and coaches like he wants to go after some Tiger players. He knew they’d restrain him. What a wimp!!!
3. I predict Tiger Woods will not come close to winning in his return this week. Maybe he’ll surprise everyone and play better than expected because he’s Tiger but I do not expect that to happen either this week or next week at the PGA. The women I talk to about Tiger hope he misses the cut.
4. Randy Moss retired-come on—he’s only 34, worked like crazy to be ready this season, and retires when he doesn’t get an offer from a championship caliber team. He’ll stay retired until training camp ends and maybe then he looks to get back on the field. In his prime he was a freak. And I mean that in a complementary way. And he always seemed to have terrific games against the Lions.
5. Kris Draper is the perfect player to add to the Wings staff. He’ll never complain, no task will be too small, he’ll be a positive guy to have around and since he won 4 cups players will listen to him. If he wants to---I think he’d make a fantastic head coach one day.
6. I know Lawrence Frank is a workaholic, and that may translate into a few more victories. But the NBA is a players league and right now the Pistons don’t have enough quality players to win. They should be improved over last year and hopefully they’re more entertaining. However, if Frank gets this group to the playoffs he’s the coach of the year.
7. Jim Schwartz had a great quote when I asked him for his reaction to Peter King of Sports Illustrated saying the Lions “might” make it to the Super bowl—he said the Lions have got to get to the point where that’s not news—where we’re not surprised when someone says that---where that’s expected. Just another reason why I like Schwartz- the econ major and grad from Georgetown—he’s a pretty smart guy. Says the right thing a lot. Oh and so far—he’s sticking to the program and done a fantastic job. If the Lions succeed the city will go ga-ga.
Copyright 2011 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.