DETROIT, Mich. (WXYZ) - 7 thoughts while sitting at my desk:
1. Does anyone care, or even know, the NBA’s in a lockout. They are so far off the radar right now. The NBA is not the NFL—they better wake up and do a deal. Any games lost would be brutal for the NBA.
2. The Lions are the sexy, trendy pick for a lot of the so-called experts to make the playoffs this season. They could all be right if Matthew Stafford stays healthy. If they stay in the playoff race and play significant, meaningful games in December, this town will go nutso. I think it’s going to happen—buckle up and enjoy the ride.
3. The Tigers cannot, and will not blow the Central division race. When you’ve got Justin Verlander, the best pitcher in baseball, Miguel Cabrera, one of the best hitters in baseball, and weak contenders like Chicago and Cleveland, you have got to win the division.
4. Speaking of Verlander- the Cy Young is his and the Most valuable player award remains a strong possibility. It rarely happens with a pitcher but Justin has a legitimate shot---especially if he wins 24 or 25 games. Where would the Tigers be without him?---not in first place that’s for sure. Sounds pretty valuable to me.
5. I’m going with U.S. women’s Olympic goalie Hope Solo to win Dancing with the Stars. Athletic, coachable, attractive, personable, and, she’ll have a huge following. Seems like a great combination to me. But I have no clue if she can dance. Doesn’t matter right now---she’s my choice.
6. I hope Michigan football fans are patient with Brady Hoke---I think he’s the right man for the job, but he’s no miracle worker—give him a few years before you rush to any conclusions. Michigan football will not be an embarrassment this year but Hoke needs a few of his own recruiting classes to prove himself and next year’s class has already been voted #1 in the country by some recruiting experts.
7. The Michigan State football team should be pretty darn good—but it’ll be tough to top last year when they won a share of the Big 10 title. A lot went right for them last season right up to the bowl game. However Mark Dantonio has done a really good job—and despite huge pressure and high expectations to repeat, the Spartans can play with just about any team in the country. I hope they prove that this year.
Copyright 2011 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.