Knicks forward Amare Stoudemire cut his hand punching a plate of glass protecting a fire extinguisher, so I made a short list of some other dumb injuries in sports history.
In no particular order, here are seven of my favorites, some of which happened to athletes with ties to Detroit.
1. Wade Boggs falls out of a truck: In 1991, the Red Sox third baseman accidentally opened the door of his moving truck as his wife was driving along Route 17 in Florida. After he fell out of the truck, Boggs said the back tire almost ran over his head and he was lucky no other cars were on the road.
2. Brandon Inge gets hurt moving a pillow: In 2008, the Tigers utility man was trying to adjust a pillow for his young son and ended up straining an oblique muscle. He eventually hit the disabled list.
3. A box lands on Joel Zumaya's shoulder: As Zumaya was helping his family gather their things in advance of an approaching fire in California early in 2008, a 60-pound box fell on his shoulder. Because of the separated shoulder, he wasn't able to pitch for the Tigers again until June 20.
4. Zumaya strains wrist playing Guitar Hero: During his rookie season of 2006, Zumaya was addicted to the popular video game "Guitar Hero," so much so that he strained his wrist playing the game. He was forced to miss three games of the American League Championship Series against Oakland.
5. Gus Frerotte head-butts the wall: During a not-so-riveting 7-7 tie with the New York Giants, Frerotte head-butted the stadium wall after scoring the Redskins only touchdown. He suffered a concussion.
6. Dave Rozema's unfriendly cut: In 1982, Tigers outfielder Kirk Gibson pulled a stool out from under his teammate Dave Rozema. Unfortunately, Rozema had a bottle of cough syrup in his back pocket, which broke and cut his buttocks when he landed hard on the ground. Rozema missed a start.
7. Swin Cash slips and falls during championship celebration: Amidst the hoopla of the Detroit Shock's second WNBA Championship celebration, Shock forward Swin Cash slipped on the wet hallway floor at Joe Louis Arena and fell hard on her back. Luckily, she wasn't injured, but it was another reminder of how quickly things can go downhill.
Please feel free to add your own memory and vote for your favorite of these seven in the poll above.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.