(WXYZ) - Governor Rick Snyder has announced approval by the Michigan Strategic Fund of $450 million in bonds to finance the construction of a new Detroit entertainment district.
The entertainment district will include a new arena for the Detroit Red Wings.
“This new entertainment district will be much more than a new arena for the Detroit Red Wings. This is a project that will help revitalize Detroit,” Snyder said in a news release. “This project creates another major destination point for residents and visitors alike that builds on prior investments along Woodward from Comerica Park and Ford Field to the new Whole Foods in Mid-Town. The Ilitch family organization is making an enormous investment in the city and state bond financing makes this project a true public-private partnership.”
The project is expected to cost around $650 million and will create an estimated 4,400 jobs.
The bonds issued by the state will go towards funding the 44% of the cost that the state is picking up. Olympia Development, which is owned by Red Wings owner Mike Ilitch, will be funding the other 56% of the project.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Sean Couturier had two goals and two assists and the Philadelphia Flyers scored four goals in third period to rally for a 6-3 win over the Detroit Red Wings on Wednesday night.
Red Wings captain Henrik Zetterberg will miss at least two weeks with a herniated disk in his back.
The former Red Wings forward has written a tell-all biography detailing his triumphs on the ice, his battles with addiction and why he had to let the whole truth out.
Daniel Alfredsson scored an empty-net goal and added an assist in his return to Ottawa, and the Red Wings beat the Senators 4-2 on Sunday night.
Daniel Alfredsson had two goals and an assist, Darren Helm had two goals and the Detroit Red Wings dominated the Islanders 5-0 on Friday.
Two potent offenses will face off Sunday when the Detroit Lions (7-5) visit the Philadelphia Eagles (7-5) in a potential NFC playoff preview.
Comedian Will Ferrell's news anchor persona Ron Burgundy interviewed Denver Broncos Quarterback Peyton Manning for an upcoming segment on ESPN's SportsCenter.
J.P. Tokoto had 12 points and a career-high 10 rebounds to help North Carolina beat No. 1 Michigan State 79-65 Wednesday night