PRODUCED BY: Shellie Nelson and Chris Horan KSHB-TV
Halloween brings tricks and treats, but do you know when and why we began observing Halloween?
Take our quiz to test your knowledge of the scary truths about Halloween!
1. True or False: Halloween was first celebrated 200 years ago.
False. Halloween began more than 2000 years ago.
2. True or False: Halloween originally marked the end of harvest.
True. This day marked the end of summer and the harvest and the beginning of the dark, cold winter, a time of year that was often associated with human death.
3. True or False: Halloween began in what is now Germany.
False. The Celts who lived in the area that is now Ireland, the United Kingdom, and northern France are generally credited with first observing Halloween.
4. True or False: October 31st has always been the date for Halloween.
False. The original date was November 1st.
5. True or False: The Catholic church once tried to replace Halloween with a religious holiday.
True. In the seventh century, Pope Boniface IV designated November 1 All Saints' Day, a time to honor saints and martyrs. It is widely believed today that the pope was attempting to replace the Celtic festival of the dead with a related, but church-sanctioned holiday.
6. True or False: The Irish potato famine played a part in bringing Halloween to the United States.
True. Millions of Irish flooded to the states during the famine of 1846. They brought with them their Halloween traditions.
7. True or False: Halloween is the largest commercial holiday.
False. Halloween is number two, Christmas is number one.
8. True or False: Trick or Treating as we know it began in 1920.
True. A form of Trick or Treating was practiced hundreds of years before, but the tradition of children going door-to-door collecting candy began in 1920.
9. True or False: The first observers of Halloween wanted to have a holiday to make them closer to their deceased relatives.
True. They set places at the dinner table, left treats on doorsteps and along the side of the road and lit candles to help loved ones find their way back to the spirit world.
10. True or False: Bobbing for apples started as a celebration for the end harvest.
False. It was thought that the first successful apple-bobber at a Halloween party would be the first person to get married.
How did you do? Share your Halloween thoughts and pictures with us!