· When having a bowl of cereal, apply MyPlate guidelines to your cereal bowl. Focus on whole grains, low-fat dairy and fruit. Select cereals that provide at least 3 grams of fiber per serving; skim or 1% milk (or milk alternative); different fruits.
· Cereal can be used in many ways beyond the bowl including:
o Coating for meat, such as chicken breasts or pork chops
o In muffins
o In cobblers and parfaits
o In a snack mix
o Used as breadcrumbs – topping for casseroles or in meatloaf
Mini Meatball Sandies
1/4 cup finely crushed corn cereal (such as Meijer Corn Flakes)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon ketchup, plus more for serving
2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
8 ounces 96-percent lean ground beef, such as Certified Angus Beef
Twelve 2 1/2-inch diameter sweet dinner rolls, halved, such as King's Hawaiian
1. Put an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together the cereal, parsley, egg, oil, 1 tablespoon ketchup, cheese, salt, and pepper. Add the ground beef and gently stir to combine. With damp hands, roll the mixture into 12 mini meatballs. Arrange the meatballs on the prepared baking sheet and bake until cooked through, about 15 minutes Cool for 10 minutes.
3. Make an indentation in the center of the bottom half of a roll. Slice a meatball in half and put in the indentation. Add about 1 teaspoon of ketchup to the meatballs and cover with the top half of the roll. Repeat with the remaining rolls and filling.
4. Arrange the sandies on a platter and serve. Serve with sliced apples, carrots & cucumber slices.
Source: Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis, Food Network.
Other Ideas Using Cereal:
Snack or On-The-Go Breakfast Idea: Cherry-Pistachio Crunch
Combine ½ cup dried cherries, 2 cups rice squares or wheat squares or Meijer Multigrain Toasted Oats, ½ cup roasted pistachios and 3 cups Meijer Bountiful Morning Granola with No Sugar Added. Source: Adapted from Easy Meals Healthy Families book on www.meijerhealthyliving.com .
Dessert Idea: Mango-Blueberry Cup
· Combine 1 large diced mango, 1 cup blueberries, 1 tablespoon lime juice and 1 tablespoon sugar. Divide into 4 glasses. Top each with ¼ cup lowfat vanilla yogurt and ¼ cup toasted coconut or Meijer Fiber Complete with Probiotics or Meijer Blueberry Muffin Squares. Source: Adapted from Easy Meals Healthy Families book on www.meijerhealthyliving.com.