(WXYZ) - Are you heading down to the Charity Preview at Cobo Center Friday night?
Detroit police are encouraging those attending to leave early and use alternate routes if necessary. Here are some traffic and parking tips to help you get to the Charity Preview looking glamorous and stress-free.
(The City of Detroit released the following traffic alerts for Friday)
• Shelby will close between Larned Street and Jefferson Avenue starting at 5 p.m.
• Only designated buses will be allowed to travel on Atwater Street behind the Renaissance Center to Joe Louis Arena beginning at 6 p.m.
• Vehicles exiting at the Larned exit on the southbound John C. Lodge Freeway will only be allowed to go east on Larned to parking areas until 5 p.m. The Larned exit will be closed at 5 p.m. until the Charity Preview concludes.
• Griswold southbound will close at Larned beginning at 5 p.m.
• The Civic Center ramp from Washington will be closed to traffic starting at 5 p.m.
• There will be No Parking, Tow Zone and No Standing zones from 8 a.m. to midnight on Congress, Shelby, Larned, Washington Blvd., Cass, Jefferson, and Atwater.
POSSIBLE DELAYS IF YOU'RE HEADING TO THE CHARITY PREVIEW:
John C. Lodge Freeway
HOW TO AVOID DELAYS LEAVING DOWNTOWN:
Police recommend workers use Woodward Avenue, Cass Avenue or the I-75 freeway when leaving the city after work.
CHARITY PREVIEW PARKING, SOME OPTIONS:
1. Joe Louis Arena
900 West Jefferson
2. Cobo Roof Deck
625 West Congress
3. Millennium Garage
432 West Congress
Hours: Open until midnight
4. Ford Underground Garage
30 East Jefferson
Hours: Open until midnight
PEOPLE MOVER INFO:
On Friday, January 18, the People Mover will run from 6:30 a.m. to 2 a.m.
Cost: $.75 per ride, and children under 5 ride free. More info, go here: www.thepeoplemover.com
ONLY VEHICLES ALLOWED IN FRONT OF COBO:
(No vehicles will be allowed to stand or park near Cobo and all buses will use Atwater)
According to meteorologist Dave Rexroth, the weather will cooperate Friday evening!
Friday: Turning cloudy early, a bit breezy. Highs: 28-32 / Winds: WSW 10-20
Friday night: Mostly cloudy, breezy. Lows: 25-28 / Winds: SW 10-20
Get the full forecast here: http://bit.ly/dcsti6
If you want to watch all of the glitz and glamor from home, don't miss our Red Carpet Charity Preview Special.
Friday, January 18, 7 – 8:30 pm
It's THE live broadcast of the North American International Auto Show Charity Preview event on Friday, January 18, as only Channel 7 can do it! The Red Carpet Charity Preview Special at 7:00 pm, anchored by Stephen Clark and Carolyn Clifford, will feature live reports across the show floor from JoAnne Purtan, Alicia Smith, Vic Faust, Tom Leyden and Erin Nicole.
The program, broadcast entirely in high definition, will feature interviews with top automotive executives, the latest in high fashion from the show floor, and sneak peeks at the must-see vehicles and interactive displays visitors will be able to see at the Auto Show! You can also catch an encore presentation on Saturday, January 19, at 8:30 am.