SOUTHFIELD, Mich. (WXYZ) - Holiday shopping can be daunting. But if you need inspiration, you may not need to look any further than our own state of Michigan.
Lisa Diggs – the Founder of the Buy Michigan Now campaign – has worked with businesses around the state to create the new 2012 Holiday Gift Guide.
"ABC News has issued a fantastic challenge to encourage people to spend just $64.00 on gifts made in America this season because economists say it will help create 200,000 jobs," said Diggs. "Our Holiday Gift Guide is an excellent resource for people to keep that money close to home and create those jobs here by buying gifts made in Michigan."
Here are some of the items featured in the Buy Michigan Now Holiday Gift Guide :
- Coney Kit by National Coney Island, Inc. in Roseville - This package can ship anywhere in the US and include two dozen natural casing hot dogs, two dozen buns, National chili sauce, diced onions and yellow mustard. They are packed in dry ice in a foam cooler with National Coney Island's logo on the front.
- Park Snowboard By Epix Snowboards in Ortonville - This board is a freestyle playmate for boarders who love manicured park jumps, wall rides, and boxes. Dozens of cool designs are available including tributes to a Detroit favorite -- McClure's Pickles.
- Wheel Shield by Zane Products, Inc. in Allen Park - This clever product is adjustable in size and provides a protective cover for rims and hubcaps, preventing tire dressings and sprays from getting on wheels and rims during application when detailing a car.
- Baby blankets from beeXpression in Troy - The top side features the three-colored embroidered message on flannel. The back side is made out of soft fleece.
- Holiday Party Pack by Atwater in Detroit - This seasonal variety 12-pack includes four unique brews: Decadent Dark Chocolate Ale, Dirty Blonde Ale, Vanilla Java Porter, and Winter Bock. It's available at Meijer and other retailers.
- Michigan Coasters by City Bird in Detroit - These sturdy cork coasters shaped like the lower peninsula of Michigan are sold in sets of four. They cost under $20 and are light weight for easy shipping. These are just one of many Michigan or Detroit-themed items from artists carried by City Bird.