(WXYZ) - Mars Foodservices, the parent company of Uncle Ben's is recalling all bags of its Uncle Ben's Infused Rice Products that were produced in 2013, after people eating it developed burning and itching rashes, headaches and nausea.
The product is not typically sold to individual customers but might be available over the internet and at warehouse-type retailers. They are sold directly to food service companies that usually distribute to restaurants, schools, hospitals and other establishments.
On February 7, there were reports from three public schools in Texas that 34 students and four teachers experienced the symptoms for 30-90 minutes before they went away. The symptoms appear very quickly after consumption.
This is the third instance of reactions coming from eating Uncle Ben's Infused Rice Products. The first happened on October 30, in North Dakota, affecting three children in daycare and one college student, and the other on December 4 in Illinois where 25 school children were affected.
The products were produced in 2013 and include:
- UNCLE BEN'S INFUSED Rice Roasted Chicken Flavor (5 and 25 pound bags)
- UNCLE BEN'S INFUSED Rice Garlic & Butter Flavor (5 pound bag)
- UNCLE BEN'S INFUSED Rice Mexican Flavor (5 and 25 pound bags)
- UNCLE BEN'S INFUSED Rice Pilaf (5 pound bag)
- UNCLE BEN'S INFUSED Rice Saffron Falvor (5 pound bag)
- UNCLE BEN'S INFUSED Rice Cheese Flavor (5 pound bag)
- UNCLE BEN'S INFUSED Rice Spanish Flavor (25 pound bag)