SOUTHFIELD, MICH (WXYZ) - Even when catastrophe strikes, you have to be careful of those that would take advantage of you.
Following the horrific storm that rolled through Michigan Thursday, the Better Business Bureau is urging you to be cautious of those who would offer to repair any damages.
You may be in hurry to get the repairs made, but don't throw caution to the wind.
Make sure the person hired to do the work is qualified and reputable.
There are a few tips that the BBB offers when you are hiring a contractor:
- Check with your insurance agent before you hire anyone.
- Check that price. There may be a sudden increase in the cost of business.
- Watch out for the storm chaser who might not be from the area and difficult to locate.
- You should ask for proof of licensing and registration.
- Be sure to get a written estimate before starting the work.
- References and recommendations are good.
- Get a written contract.
- Check to make sure the contractor has liability insurance and workers' comp.
- Get those guarantees in writing.
- Know what is necessary to cancel the contract.
- Never use a contractor that wants to be paid upfront.
- Don't sign a work completion paper, or make the final payment until the work is finished and you are satisfied.
Always try to use good sense in situations where you may be vulnerable.
To verify a contractor's license. Check with the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs at: https://www2.dleg.state.mi.us/colaLicVerify/