DEARBORN (WXYZ) - "If you got sewage in your house, in your basement, make sure you're thorough about getting rid of it, because if you don't, it's going to be a problem that keeps surfacing," said Dearborn Mayor John O'Reilly when he met up with Action News on Ternes Street Monday where crews were picking up household items damaged during the recent flooding.
City crews and contractors have been working long hours as they continue to go from block to block using front-end loaders to pick up mounds of contaminated items that were in basements, but now sit curbside for disposal.
An estimated 8,000 homes in Dearborn were affected by the flooding on August 11.
And the City of Dearborn wants property owners to know that they have until September 25 to file a claim with the city for any flood damage they experienced last week. Residents will be reimbursed for their loss if it's proven that any failure with the city's water and sewage system is to blame for their loss.
Mayor O'Reilly says residents can turn in their forms now and amend them up until September 25.
On Tuesday, Wayne County, in partnership with the State of Michigan and local support agencies, began a series of "one-stop shop" centers for flood recovery assistance.
The assistance centers are aimed at providing a place for citizens to ask questions and find help in their recovery efforts through agencies that include the State of Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, the State Bureau of Insurance, the American Red Cross and the Salvation Army.
No appointment is necessary.
The next Multi-Agency Resource Center (MARC) will be held Wednesday, August 20, from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. in Dearborn at the Performing Arts Center located at 15801 Michigan Avenue.
On Thursday, MARC will be held in Southgate at the Brainard Senior Center located at 14700 Reaume Parkway. The hours will also be from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
For more information go to http://www.waynecounty.com/news/3455.htm