CDC confirms third Michigan death from Meningitis outbreak

(WXYZ) - The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention now says that there are 25 Meningitis cases and three deaths in Michigan related to the outbreak linked to epidural steroid injections.

It is not yet clear where the third death occurred. The Michigan Department of Community Health says the victim was a 78-year-old woman from Washtenaw County.

The MDCH had previously said a 56-year-old woman of Genesee County and a 67-year-old woman of Livingston County had died as part of the outbreak.

Michigan is now the second most affected state, behind Tennessee which has had 39 cases and 6 deaths.

Michigan's total of 25 identified cases does not include a person with a joint infection that was included yesterday. The MDCH now says that person for incorrectly reported on Monday and is no longer being counted as a case.

In all there are 119 cases and 11 deaths nationwide. States affected in addition to Michigan and Tennessee are Florida, Indiana, Maryland, Minnesota, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio and Virginia.

The meningitis outbreak has been linked to a steroid produced by a specialty pharmacy in Massachusetts. The company has recalled all of their products.

So far at least four places in Michigan are confirmed as having received the tainted steroid. They are the Michigan Neurosurgical Institute in Grand Blanc; Michigan Pain Specialists in Brighton; Neuromuscular & Rehabilitation in Traverse City; and Southeast Michigan Surgical Hospital in Warren.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments