Check your carbon monoxide detector, facts about CO

(WXYZ) - Have you checked your carbon monoxide detector recently?  

According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention , more than 400 people accidentally die from carbon monoxide poisoning every year in the United States.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that is produced when fossil fuel burns with insufficient oxygen. CO is found in combustion fumes, which is produced by cars and trucks, gas ranges and heating systems, among other sources.

Consumers Energy says you could be experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning if you or your family are experiencing severe headaches, dizziness, confusion, or nausea. The symptoms experienced are similar to those of the flu.

Both Consumers Energy and the CDC recommend having your appliances checked regularly by a professional, and making sure your detector is functioning properly. 

For more information on carbon monoxide detection, visit http://www.consumersenergy.com/content.aspx?ID=1194

 

CDC: Carbon monoxide poisoning

Print this article Back to Top

Comments