Detroit family falls victim to carbon monoxide poisoning

DETROIT (WXYZ) - A family of four was rushed to the hospital Tuesday morning for possible carbon monoxide poisoning.

Firefighters say they removed two men, a woman and a child who appeared to be about 10-years-old from a home on West Parkway in Northwest Detroit.

CHECK YOUR CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTOR, FACTS ABOUT CO

Crews say there was a generator in close proximity to the home and at least one neighbor says the generator was powering a furnace that the homeowner installed himself after the previous furnace had been stolen.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that can be deadly. Nearly any source of heat can produce carbon monoxide including but not limited to a furnace, a stove, a dryer and even a fire place.

Your best defense against carbon monoxide is a detector which will cost you a little more than $30; not having one could cost you your life.

First responders expect everyone from the home on West Parkway to fully recover.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments