Life-threatening injuries push escapee to turn himself in to Detroit Police

DETROIT (WXYZ) - "He wanted to turn himself in," said Keith Posey about his brother who escaped from Sinai Grace Hospital where he was being held a prisoner by Detroit Police.

The actions of the officer who left 19-year-old Kenneth Hickman unattended are being investigated.

Police say Hickman's shackles were found in a hospital stairwell and surveillance video showed him fleeing the hospital Wednesday evening.

In an exclusive interview, Posey and other relatives told 7 Action News that Hickman was in desperate need of medical treatment for gunshot wounds that left him without a spleen. And they thanked Detroit Police for quickly returning him to the hospital within minutes of Hickman agreeing to surrender with the help of his family.

According to relatives, Hickman realized that running from a pending criminal case wasn't worth putting his life at risk

"He told my mom he was in pain," Hickman's sister tells 7 Action News.

Hickman was receiving medical treatment for gunshot wounds he sustained when he allegedly tried to rob a former friend with a BB gun.

Detroit Police say when Hickman went to the hospital on May 6, he claimed to be the victim of a crime, but investigators later determined that he was connected to the attempted robbery that sources say involved pills.

A couple hours after Hickman was back in custody, Detroit Police talked to reporters and also released a statement that included the following:

Our Investigators worked relentlessly through the night, gathering tips and following leads, hoping to expediently bring Mr. Hickman back into custody.  Due to the extent of his injuries it was extremely important that Mr. Hickman returned to custody so that he could receive the medical treatment he so greatly needed.  It was discovered that Mr. Hickman made contact with a family member who then contacted Detroit Police.  Officers worked diligently, in conjunction with this family member to negotiate a peaceful surrender for the safety of everyone involved.  On Thursday May 15, 2014 at approximately 12:30 p.m. in the area of Fenkell and Greenfield, Mr. Hickman was taken into custody by Officers from our 2nd Precinct Special Operation.  This arrest was made peacefully and without incident.



Print this article Back to Top