Kilpatrick Corruption Case moves into new phase of jury selection in Federal Court in Detroit

DETROIT (WXYZ) - The jury selection process in the Kilpatrick Corruption Trial continues today, as the defense teams and federal prosecutors return to court.

The lawyers have already met to go over their lists of jurors based on the questionnaires that were filled out.

7 Action News Investigator Heather Catallo has learned that both sides have a good-sized list of people who will be called back for questioning next month – but they have to argue over a few dozen more today.

Former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, his father Bernard Kilpatrick, long-time friend Bobby Ferguson, and former water department chief Victor Mercado are all charged with racketeering, bribery, and extortion.

Defense lawyers and federal prosecutors have been pouring over the 400 detailed questionnaires that prospective jurors filled out earlier this month. They are trying to determine which jurors can be brought back for further questioning in open court.

The legal teams have already come up with a list of people to call back. Tuesday afternoon, they will be arguing over the ones they can't agree on, but ultimately it's the judge who gets to make the final decision.

Some jurors have already been eliminated because they said the trial would cause them undue hardship – or they said they just couldn't be impartial towards the former mayor.

The lawyers will start arguing for and against certain jurors starting around 1:30 PM.

Stay with 7 Action News and WXYZ.com for updates.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments