A man in the Florida Panhandle community of Niceville lost all of his teeth, part of his tongue and suffered facial cuts when the electronic cigarette he was smoking exploded, WEAR-Ch. 3 television reported.
Photographer, Vietnam veteran and father of three Tom Holloway was being treated at a burn center, the station reported.
A neighbor told WEAR that Holloway had quit smoking traditional cigarettes because of his health and had taken up so-called electronic cigarettes about two years ago.
Fire officials theorize that the cigarette's battery somehow ignited and it was essentially as if Holloway was "holding a bottle rocket in his mouth," the station reported.
The Associated Press contributed to this report