New Mexico woman bites into bolt in Applebee's burger, restaurant continues selling sliders

Imagine getting ready to sink your teeth into a juicy burger and then chomping down on a metal bolt.

That is what a woman says happened to her Sunday at an Applebee's restaurant in Albuquerque, N.M.

Diana Almarez said her sister's slider had an unwelcome surprise inside.

"She bit into it and got a funny look on her face and we said what's wrong?" Almarez said. "As she kind of pulled the slider out of her mouth a little bit, there was this bolt."

She said the bolt was embedded in the meat.

Almarez said they immediately called over the waiter, who told them they did not have a manager at the moment. However, the family was told that the meal would be compensated.

But what really bothered Almarez was just minutes after their ordeal, they saw a family right next to them order a plate of sliders.

She was concerned the same source of meat would have other pieces of that bolt inside.

"I think they should have stopped selling the slider meat right then and there until they figure out where it came from, find out who processed the hamburger," Almarez said.

A spokesman for Applebee’s said they are grateful that the customer is safe.

The company said it is reviewing the matter to determine the origin of the object and to insure that the food handling protocol was followed.

Print this article Back to Top