Out of Country Easter Travel Requires Documentation

Plan Ahead for Travel to Canada for Easter

DETROIT, MICH (WXYZ) - For many of us, travel will mark the Easter holiday, whether it be to see grandma, visit a few friends, or just to get away.

Knowing it's a heavy travel time, agents will be busy and the Detroit U.S. Customs and Border Protection agency is reminding us that if your are going out of the country, make sure you have the proper documentation.

As you might expect, traffic will be intense at the Ambassador Bridge, the Windsor Tunnel, the Blue Water bridge in Port Huron, and the International Bridge in Sault Ste. Marie. Having your credentials ready will help to move things along.

In addition, there are a few tips from the CBP to make it easier for everyone. Be ready to declare any items you may have and any paper work you may need for them. If you have plants or flowers coming over the border with you, please tell the agent. Some won't be allowed.

Having the proper documentation to travel between the U.S and Canada means having proof of citizenship. More specifically that means you need a passport, or a U.S. Passport Card, or a trusted traveler card suchas as NEXUS, SENTRI, Global Entry, or FAST, or even an Enhanced Driver's license. For kids under 16 years old, a birth certificate will suffice.

Director of Field Operations Christopher Perry says, "Prepared travelers help reduce wait times, while allowing CBP to be more efficient as we process travelers during periods of high traffic volume"

If you'd like more information, go to: www.getyouhome.gov

If you would like to check in to see how busy they are at those crossings, go to:

 http:// www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/

Print this article Back to Top