DETROIT (WXYZ) - Pleading no contest, a 16-year-old boy sat in a courtroom at the Lincoln Hall of Juvenile Justice quietly, accepting a charge of Assault With Intent To Do Great Bodily Harm, Less Than Murder after being accused of attacking a gay man at the Detroit's Motor City Pride festival in early June.
Wednesday, the 20-year-old victim, Christin Howard and his mother Tamara appeared in court for the suspect’s hearing.
“Could have killed my child,” said Tamara Howard. “Just because you don’t like gay people? Come on now. That’s not even acceptable. What happened to my son was totally uncalled for.”
7 Action News first reported the attack after obtaining cell phone video from that day.
A group of guys can be seen beating up the victim.
“One person to eight people,” said Tamara Howard. “That’s uncalled for and I want justice. I want all of them to go to prison, juvenile… wherever they need to go, because they need some time to understand that you cannot do this.”
So far, no one else has been caught in the case.
The juvenile who was in court Wednesday is no stranger to the law. He had been charged with a list of crimes before taking a plea deal including Home Invasion, Carjacking, and drug charges.
While police look for the others involved in Christin Howard’s attack, he has a message for the others who jumped him.
“I’m just sitting back waiting,” said Christin Howard. “You’re going to get caught. I’m sure. I have a lot of confidence that justice is going to be served.”
The juvenile’s attorney requested that he receive a personal bond. The judge denied the request stating that he is a danger to society.
He will be back in court August 26th for his sentencing.