19-year-old charged with murder of Air Force Sergeant now set to undergo competency exam

DETROIT (WXYZ) - The prosecution of 19-year-old accused killer Antonio Hicks is on a temporary hold after his defense attorney requested that he undergo a competency examination.

"There are real doubts about whether he is able to understand the crime itself and assist in his defense. He does have a significant mental health history that we are going to get to the bottom of," said attorney William Winters III.

Hicks is accused of killing U.S. Air Force Sergeant Johnny Clyburn on May 27 in the basement of the home Clyburn shared with Hicks' mother, Nicolina Pace. Pace was shot in the leg.

Hicks had been living with his mother and Clyburn for nine month and we're told he was upset that he was having to return to Florida where he had been living with his father.

Pace believes her son was also jealous of Clyburn and his achievements, and she believes he knew exactly what he was doing when he shot and killed the decorated veteran.

Pace says when her son walked into the basement and killed Clyburn, it seemed to be some sort of ambush.

Pace tells 7 Action News that at the time of the shooting, her son was wearing a jacket, zipped up, and he was wearing shoes, which were not allowed to be worn in the house.

"He needs to be held accountable," said Pace.

Hicks is due back in court on July 29 when the results of his competency examination are expected to be placed on the record.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments