Carbon monoxide suspected after a man and his dog are found dead in a Detroit home

DETROIT (WXYZ) - Detroit's bitterly cold weather has now turned deadly.

Police responded to a home on Rutland on the city's west side where a man and his dog were found dead. The man was found by his family.

Police believe they were killed by carbon monoxide from a faulty furnace. Police and MichCon officials worked to vent the home.

While the man's home was heated by fuel oil, they are also checking to make sure there are no natural gas leaks affecting nearby houses.

The 54-year-old man's name has not yet been released.

Police say he lived in the home with his mother. However, she was not home at the time of the incident.

Firefighters are urging people to install carbon monoxide detectors in their home to prevent this type of tragedy.

 

Print this article Back to Top

Comments