Demolition of original Mumford High School building begins, new school structure to open this fall

Demolition of the 240,000-square-foot former Mumford High School began Tuesday as the school's new $52.1 million facility is set to open for Detroit students this upcoming fall.

Samuel C. Mumford High School opened its doors for the first time in 1949 and over the next nine weeks, demolition crews will dismantle the original building after 63 years of use.

Mumford High School is located at 17525 Wyoming Street in Detroit between McNichols and Seven Mile roads.

 

The northwest Detroit high school is a part of a $500.5 million DPS capital improvement program approved by Detroit voters under Proposal S in 2009.  The DPS capital improvement program gave way to the construction of a brand new, Art Deco style Mumford High School that is nearly complete. 

The new building was built on the former athletic field, so the original building will allow space for a new football, track and field complex to be set up after the building is leveled.

Detroit-headquartered 1 Way Service, Inc. is under contract to dismantle and demolish the old structure.   Construction companies involved in the Bond Construction Program include Walbridge Joint Venture as the program manager along with Brailsford & Dunlavey, Walbridge, and Fanning Howey.

This is the third and final year of construction, demolition, and improvement projects throughout the Detroit Public Schools district.

Other schools included in the DPS Capital Improvement Program are the old Earhart, Chadsey, Munger, Gompers, Finney, Martin Luther King Jr. schools, and Cass Tech.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments